A Girl Can Dream, on the Centre Stage (2000)

Friendship & relationship and personal growth are the necessary elements for teenager movies. Any cheesy movie that consists of all the above can easily draw girls in, this has some really FABULOUS dance scenes too, so it's simply worth of watching.

Good girl entering a famous dance school having serious trainings hoping that one day will shine on the stage- it is quite a simple story and one can guess how it develops in ten minutes then tell the ending before it actually happens. Well, growing up takes time, and it is especially time-consuming when one has a dream and a definite goal; to me this movie seems to be the stories of a striver getting successful before running into enough problems- I have enough of these so the plot itself didn't really catch me.

What raised my interest has been the line in the plot summary: dance should be a passion, not a duty. Not long ago in a casual chat, Mr Someone told me that I have made dancing a duty instead of a pastime and he thought that was not fun at all. It upset me a bit but after all, I could tell that I am definitely lucky to have made my favourite hobby my job. If I am only a keen amateur, I might not be able to keep it fueling through life's up and down and might have abandoned it during major life changes. It is true that at tough time I would feel lost… but after I conquered everything and found that I am still doing what I enjoy doing, gees, I am just lucky.

Center Stage (Special Edition)

I am not particularly into ballet, but I still like it as it is. The best ballet dance scene in my memory has been the final dance in the 1937’s Shall We Dance (you didn’t see it wrong, it’s 1937, not the Richard Gere’s one, nor Tamiyu Kusakari’s, it’s Astaire Rodger’s black and white musical comedy). This one is also nice- oh come on, if it filmed Ethan Stiefel and Julie Kent, just shut up and dance. (p.s. the last 30 mins is a must-see)

的推文