the simplest = the most difficult

Earned big applause again with this simple waltz routine which composed of only basic syllabus figures. There is no secret about our waltz- turn the syllabus open and check for the first seven figures- we were dancing the elementary ones plainly but precisely, with correct frame and posture. Dancers always find that the basic figures are the hardest to manage, however, once we manage them well we advance quite easily. The basics defines how we should move throughout the dance, all you have to do is to move according to what has already been well defined by applying different figures.

I felt quite lucky that I learned to keep my posture even when I was practicing with my invisible man from my first ballroom teacher. Even though I was not fixing my arms in the air, I was already in my arch and head turned to my ten o'clock direction, and I know it's weird to say that this unnatural posture is rather natural to me. Keeping this posture helps a lot as I don't need to consciously tell myself to mind the posture, I can focus on the feet. Oh sorry I didn't really focus on the feet when I was the lady. The steps have become an instinct. Whenever I felt the lead, my feet would find their places themselves. The only job for me was to enjoy the music and follow, when I was the lady.

However, it was not only the lady's steps. I needed to familiarize myself with the man's... although M's & L's steps of those basic figures were mostly natural opposite, I felt a huge different when I was a man. First of all, dancing is not a thing that only requires feet. It demands the toned body to react to any tiny movements, this is especially true in ballroom dancing when couples are literally connected to each other throughout the dance. Without advanced variation, the plain figures become more demanding as there would not be any cover-up- it becomes purely the technique (of how you use your body). 

As a man, I needed to apply CBM more consciously so it was obvious enough for my lady to feel, then she could follow. I needed to care about the alignment (body) and direction (feet) so the amount of turn looked fine, oh I also needed to mind the rise and fall in order to make the sway and swing naturally beautiful. I was glad that I used to have good men to lead me (and proud to say that I have been trained to be a really good follower because of them) so I now understand what and how to make my girl feel comfortable. Considering all these at the same time and on beat was okay, but when my mind was busy running coordinating my body, it became hard to feel the music. 

You know what I mean? When I counted the music instead of danced to the music, I was not enjoying the music, i.e. I was not enjoying the dance! Bizzare! Impossible to feel “not enjoying” dancing being a dancer! So this had been the most difficult part of dancing. But I conquered it soon! Perhaps the biggest applause should have been from me myself: I am such a genius!!